Vale crest Vale of Leven Football & Athletic Club
Millburn Park, Leven Street, Alexandria, Dunbartonshire
Wright Leisure Group
Home    News    Squad    Committee    Fixtures / Results    History    Links    Location
Previous | Results | Next
Musselburgh Athletic 1-3 Vale of Leven
Musselburgh: Porteous (pen. 87)
Vale: D. Meechan (23, 45), Wardle (32)
Man of the match: Jim Meechan
Olive Bank Stadium, Saturday 17th November 2001. Kick off: 1.15pm
Scottish Cup Round 2 Replay

A sparkling first half performance that brought three goals ensured Vale's safe passage into the third round. Once again youngster David Meechan was Vale's goalscoring hero with another double that took his tally for the season to nine.

The home side were confident of beating Vale at their trim Olivebank Stadium as Hugh Hamill's side had yet to record an away win this season. Vale were equally confident having had a great lift with their spirited comeback last week.

They made two changes to last weeks starting line up with the unpredictable Dougie Wilson replacing Hugh Ward and Alex Lacy replacing Chris Dalrymple as Vale fielded a 3-4-3 formation.

  David Meechan
David Meechan scored
twice for Vale

The East region side were the more likely side in the opening 15 minutes and they could have gone ahead after 9 minutes when Boal lost possession. After a quick break Maclaurin raced from his area to block from Porteous and Meechan completed the clearance. A minute later full back Combe, the only home survivor from the sides' meeting 6 years ago, fired in a low shot that was confidently held by the diving Maclaurin.

Having weathered the home side's early pressure Vale started to create chances of their own and David Meechan and Lacy both had shots saved before Jim Meechan headed inches wide from a Brown corner. Vale thought they should have had a penalty after 22 minutes when Boal broke clear through the middle. Having entered the area and about to shoot he had his heels clipped from behind by Salton, but amazingly the referee waved aside Vale's claims and awarded a corner. From the flag kick taken by Brown Jim Meechan's netbound header was blocked on the line by Combe and David Meechan just failed to force home the rebound.

Vale made the most of their pressure when they edged in front after 23 minutes. David Meechan collected the ball 30 yards from goal, brushed aside a couple of feeble challenges before firing in a low shot that hit the base of the upright, cannoned off the head of the prostrate keeper and ended up in the net.

Nine minutes later Vale grabbed a second. Dougie Wilson pressurised the home left back into conceding a throw right at the corner flag, David Meechan returned the ball to Lacy who whipped over an inch perfect cross to the back post where Brian Wardle dived to head home the goal of the game.

'Burgh' made a couple of attempts to get back into the tie and Maclaurin held a snap shot from Porteous before saving at the feet of Sutherland. In the final seconds of the first half Vale made sure of victory. Deeley crossed to the back post where David Meechan lobbed the ball over the advancing Cunningham in the home goal into the net. Despite claims from Dougie Wilson that he got the final touch the ball was already over the line with Meechan awarded the goal.

Meechan restarted the second period in search of his hat-trick and after one minute only a last gasp block by Salton denied him right in front of goal. After 50 minutes Gow misjudged a cross from the right allowing Porteous a free header but he only succeeded in heading into the arms of Maclaurin.

At the other end Meechan collected Wilson's flick on but fired across the face of goal when it seemed easier to score. As Vale began to tire after their industrious opening hour the home side began to put Vale under constant pressure and the 'dead on their feet' trio of Wilson, Boal and David Meechan were replaced by Ritchie, Dalrymple and Ward.

The home side were rewarded for their efforts with a consolation goal three minutes from time when Gow was adjudged to have handled a shot straight at him. From the resultant spot kick the hard working Porteous blasted the ball low into the net.

In the final minute Maclaurin made a fantastic diving save to tip a Sutherland free kick around the post. Soon after the referee blew for full time and Vale were into the 3rd round.

Best for Vale on a day when all deserve credit were Ross Hunter, David Meechan and man of the match Jim Meechan.

Team: Maclaurin; Gow, Wardle, J. Meechan; Lacy, Deeley, Brown, Hunter; D. Meechan (Ward), Boal (Dalrymple), Wilson (Ritchie). Unused subs: Goodwin, McKernan.

Home    News    Squad    Committee    Fixtures / Results    History    Links    Location
E-mail: Vale of Leven F. & A.C.
Web Design by CSS Web Design. E-mail Webmaster.
Copyright © Custom Software Systems 2001-2003
CSS Web Design