Vale crest Vale of Leven Football & Athletic Club
Millburn Park, Leven Street, Alexandria, Dunbartonshire
Wright Leisure Group
Home    News    Squad    Committee    Fixtures / Results    History    Links    Location
Previous | Results | Next
Vale of Leven 7-1 Port Glasgow
Vale: Ward 2 (pen. 35, pen. 61), Wilson (41), Boal (57), Deeley (67), Fox (74), D. Meechan (79)
Port: D. McKay (66)
Man of the match: Bryan Boal
Millburn Park, Saturday 27th October 2001. Kick off: 2.30pm
West of Scotland Cup

Vale won this 2nd round tie comfortably in the end after surviving some early scares from a plucky Port side. The home side made a couple of changes to the side that lost to nine man Glencairn the previous week. Bryan Boal and Dougie Wilson returned in place of Hunter and Goodwin who were on the bench.

The Millburn men started poorly and were put under pressure by the quick breaking Port who passed up two great chances in the opening 8 minutes. Firstly Frank McKay eluded the Vale defence on the left but he lobbed the ball straight at the advancing Maclaurin, then Alan Brown was dispossessed in midfield and Docherty's low drive was well saved by the Vale keeper.

After only 10 minutes Vale survived a scare when Frank McKay expertly tucked away a cross from the right but a narrow offside decision spared Vale blushes.

Wilson on the Vale right was starting to cause a few problems for the Port defence and after one of his meandering runs his low cross was cleared off the line after 16 minutes.

Ward, Wilson, Deeley, David
Meechan and Boal were all
among the goals.

Vale were playing a dangerous offside game and after 25 minutes they almost paid the price when a diagonal ball over the top found Alford free on the left. The winger raced into the area but his low drive was brilliantly punched around the post by the diving Maclaurin. That save proved to be the turning point as Vale started to get a grip of the game at last.

After 28 minutes Gow headed down to Boal and he was denied by the blocking challenge of Harkness virtually on the goal line. A minute later following another Ward corner Wardle's net bound header was cleared off the line by McLaren. Wilson was then out of luck when his low cross was turned away by keeper McGarrigle.

Goal feast

Vale captain Alex Lacy
in action before his injury.

Photo courtesy of Dumbarton Reporter.

Vale edged in front after 35 minutes when a long ball out of defence was flicked on by Ward to the speedy Boal and as he rounded the keeper he was bundled over for a penalty from which Hugh Ward scored comfortably. The keeper was fortunate to escape with only a yellow card.

Six minutes later Vale doubled their lead when Dougie Wilson picked up a ball on the left, jinked past a couple of defenders before slotting the ball into the net for the goal of the game.

Two in front at the interval Vale replaced injured captain Alex Lacy at the break with fit again Tom Fox.

The home side increased their lead after 57 minutes when Ward helped the ball onto Bryan Boal who left the defender on the ground as he advanced on goal to slip the ball past the advancing McGarrigle and into the net.

Four minutes later it was 4-0, Boal's pace took him clear on the left and from his cross Wilson looked sure to score until he was pulled down for another penalty. After offending defender Smith was ordered off Hugh Ward slotted home his second spot kick of the day.

Vale then replaced the hard working Boal and Wilson with Scott McKernan and David Meechan. 10 man Port grabbed a consolation goal after 66 minutes when Piggott got to the line and from his cut back D. McKay got to the near post to score.

Vale then added a fifth a minute later when Brian Deeley burst through from midfield to tuck the ball past McGarrigle for his 6th goal of the season.

Nine men

Port were reduced to 9 men after 73 minutes when Piggott, who lost the plot and seemed determined to get sent off, got his wish when he was booked twice within a minute and shown the red card.

Scott McKernan set up Vale's sixth after 74 minutes when he cut the ball back to Tom Fox and from 20 yards his powerful shot was fumbled into the net by McGarrigle although Ward was on hand to make sure that the ball was over the line.

Vale's seventh and final goal came with 11 minutes remaining when Ritchie and Fox combined on the right and from the latter's cross David Meechan was on hand to volley the ball into the net from 2 yards.

Vale boss Hugh Hamill could be pleased with his side's overall performance and in particular the form of young Wilson, the not so young Deeley and man of the match Boal.

Team: Maclaurin; Lacy (Fox), Dalrymple, Wardle, Gow; Wilson (D. Meechan), Brown, Deeley, Ritchie; Ward, Boal (McKernan). Unused subs: Hunter, Goodwin.

Home    News    Squad    Committee    Fixtures / Results    History    Links    Location
E-mail: Vale of Leven F. & A.C.
Web Design by CSS Web Design. E-mail Webmaster.
Copyright © Custom Software Systems 2001-2003
CSS Web Design